|Cost of annual auto insurance increase over 13 years||$40,000|
|Towing and storage fee ($137 a day)||$685 (at least 5 days)|
|Fines and attorney fees||$4,000|
|DMV reinstatement fee||$100|
|Estimated Minimum total||$45,435|
The time spent dealing with the consequences resulting from a DUI is time lost in a teen's life, keeping your teen from reaching his or her goals. Here's the time breakdown.
|Average time of license suspension||3 months for adults, 12 months for teens|
|Average time in jail||6 months|
|Average years on probation||3 years|
|Number of years with two points on driving record||13 years|
|DUI classes||6 months|
|Time in court||Several months|
|Convicted of murder||Possible lifetime imprisonment|
|Plus, can you imagine your teen being handicapped or maimed? Suffering a lifetime of guilt and pain because of harming or killing someone? Having trouble getting a good job or getting into college because of a DUI conviction?|
- Pay fines and fees of more than $55,000;
- Pay huge increases in insurance premiums;
- Pay for a costly and time-consuming alcohol abuse program for your teen; and
- Have a teen with a criminal record for a DUI.
- Mandatory jail time;
- Substantial fines and fees;
- Suspension or revocation of driver's license;
- Restrictions on when and for what purposes one may drive;
- Being assigned to an alcohol or drug treatment program;
- Installation of an ignition interlock devise on a car; and
- Impoundment of a car.
- Jailed for at least 48 hours;
- Fined substantially;
- Restricted to driving only to and from work or an alcohol treatment program;
- Ordered to attend a three-month or six-month alcohol treatment program;
- Required to file proof of insurance with the Department of Motor Vehicles; and
- Required to have an ignition interlock device (IID) installed on one's vehicle. The person must blow into the IID to check his or her BAC each time the car is started. Maintenance costs for the IID are paid by the offender.